Daisy Ridley isn’t quite sick of travelling to galaxies far far away just yet, as she’s signed up for another blockbuster sci-fi franchise in waiting.
The Star Wars’ actress has joined the cast of Lionsgate’s upcoming adaptation of Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking, a young adult sci-fi series set in a dystopian world where all living creatures can hear each other’s thoughts.
A large portion of Chaos Walking is focused around Prentisstown, the only human settlement on the planet New World which is solely populated by males. Just imagine.
It’s safe to assume the film adaptation will focus on the first book in the trilogy, The Knife Of Never Letting Go, which centres on Todd Hewitt as he’s forced to escape his home and encounters a girl called Viola in the swamp – the role Daisy has most likely signed up for.
The film is set to be directed by Doug Liman who previously helmed the underrated sci-fi flick Edge Of Tomorrow and The Bourne Identity, with production set to begin in 2017.
Daisy certainly isn’t settling on the Star Wars franchise, as she’s also set to reunite with The Force Awakens director JJ Abrams for the supernatural drama Kolma too.
Daisy Ridley has left Instagram, and taken a break from social media after a backlash for sharing a post about victims of gun violence, on Monday.
A day after attending the Teen Choice awards, during which Jessica Alba paid tribute to victims of gun violence by having young relatives of shooting victims join her on stage, Ridley posted a message to her social media platforms, which read:
“As I sat in the audience yesterday, tears were streaming down my face at the tribute to those that have been lost to gun violence. I didn’t get a great picture of the incredible group that came onstage but they were so brave. It was a true moment of togetherness. We must #stoptheviolence.”
A slew of comments followed. Many praised the actor’s words, while some criticized her for speaking out, accusing her of hypocrisy due to the violence in the Star Wars franchise.
Soon after, Ridley’s Instagram account disappeared. The message remained on Facebook, where she has more than 738,000 followers, before being deleted on Wednesday. A number of comments on her Facebook post urged her to return to Instagram where she regularly interacts with fans.
Ridley briefly reactivated her Instagram account and posted a message explaining her hiatus: “I just want to be on my phone less! Trying to be more present and all that and got a busy few months ahead so wanted less distractions … It’s all good! 🙂” she wrote, according to The Nerdy Bird.
Since first joining Instagram a year ago, Ridley has frequently used the social media channel to connect with her fans on a variety of issues, including self-esteem, body-shaming and her struggles with endometriosis.
Her Star Wars co-star John Boyega told his fans on Instagram that Ridley “is doing what’s best for her” and added that he “won’t be advising [his] friend to come back”.
Ridley isn’t the only celebrity to leave social media after online attacks. Leslie Jones, one of the stars of Paul Feig’s contested Ghostbusters reboot, took a break from Twitter after being bombarded with racist comments around the time of the blockbuster’s release. Twitter stepped in and permanently banned a user for his abuse aimed toward Jones. The actor has since come back to Twitter.
Star Wars actress Daisy Ridley on how fantasy films can help people come to terms with suffering in the real world
The following contains enormous spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens
In this week’s Big Issue, Star Wars: The Force Awakens star Daisy Ridley explains why she thinks audiences form such a strong emotional connection with fantasy films.
“Maybe that’s because people are able to express themselves more easily when it’s tied to something that’s not totally real,” Ridley said. “When you watch something you feel removed from, it becomes that incredible thing of it feeling very close and very far away. You probably have a bigger emotional reaction than reading a newspaper and just seeing facts and figures [because] instead you see someone’s life play out, their soul, and the way they react and respond to the world around them.”
Ridley, who played the Rey in the film goes on to talk for the first time about why the death of Han Solo, killed by his son Kylo Ren, had such a profound impact on Star Wars fans.
She said: “People die so awfully every day that if you experienced every grief, the whole world would be a dark, dark place. So many awful things happened last year, and Han Solo dying, which was one of the last moments of the year, is some weird way of people experiencing that.”
“People are weighed down by awful things that are happening and what they see on the news. If everybody puts a piece of themselves into Han Solo and Han Solo dies – in the cinema, where it’s dark – you can express it and it alleviates some of the pain. His death is obviously not as important as actual lives that are lost but people probably use it as some kind of carrier for the grief.”
Ridley is currently filming the yet untitled Episode VIII with her next cinema release being Only Yesterday, a Studio Ghibli film where she provides the voice of the main character, Taeko.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Daisy Ridley has confirmed talks to take on the role of Lara Croft in a forthcoming Tomb Raider reboot.
Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter at the Empire awards in London, the British actor said there had “been conversations” about her taking on the part of the English archaeological explorer made famous by Angelina Jolie in two early noughties films.
“I’m waiting for someone to say ‘I want you, let’s do it’,” she said. It is understood no script yet exists for the project, which is in its early stages.
Ridley, 23, who is set to return as Rey in Star Wars: Episode VIII suggested she would have enough time to shoot different projects. “Absolutely, I’m trying to fill up my calendar,” she told the Hollywood Reporter.
Jolie played Croft in two films, 2001’s Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and 2003’s Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Neither fared well with critics but the first instalment was a box-office smash, taking $274.7m worldwide. Both movies were based on the long-running Eidos Interactive video game franchise which kicked off with 1996’s Tomb Raider.
Norwegian director Roar Uthaug, best known for disaster movie The Wave, is set to make his English language debut on the reboot. The new iteration, announced in November, is reportedly an origins story.